Thursday 3 February 2011

3rd February

Well winter gales have arrived again today. Driving sleet and snow and the boats are all disrupted.. Even Eli was almost blown over on his mornings walk this morning.

I had a visit from friends in Cambridge last week and it was great to see them again. They came up for Up Helly Aa the fire festival held on the last Tuesday of every January. This is the largest fire festival in Europe I am told, and it certainly is very impressive.

This years Festival was very impressive and the weather was relatively kind too. Lerwick was full of people.

Work on the Church Tower in Lerwick is going well. The steel joists were very seriously corroded very scary seeing what the builders have been cutting out. Some of the corrosion was so bad that literally nothing was left, and in places the steel was down to 1mm thick!!!!

Generally things are going well, though I am very busy indeed running between jobs. I have managed to mostly steer clear of bugs and flu.

The house continue to be a challenge, but at least I have work to go to to keep warm. I have moved into a smaller bedroom to try to stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment