Wednesday 25 November 2009

The Corner House RIP

call me quaint? call me sentimental? call me just crazy? but today as my last visit (for the time being at least) into Cambridge I thought I would end where it all sort of started... at the Corner House Restaurant. Of course it is not actually still there and it never was on the corner anyway, but still I went back. I first went to the Corner House when it was not on the corner in 1981 when I came up to Cambridge for an interview at Westcott House theological college. I arrived late and then discovered that Cambridge railway station was not like most stations in that it was not in Cambridge at all, but way on the edge with about 30 minutes walk still to do! This meant I missed all the welcoming, all the worship and all the food! So I asked where I might find supper, and was helpfully directed to the Corner House (but it is not on the corner!)
I can still remember sitting on a small table for one in the corner near the toilets!

Tradition sticks and I would go back there, not always in the corner by the toilets, and not always alone either (I am not quite so sad after all)many times. When it closed and reopened under a new name I still kept going back and today I thought this could be the circle being made complete.
There are no longer any small tables but the toilets are still in the same place so I sat as close to the corner as I could and enjoyed lunch at the Corner House once again and it is till not on the corner anyway. Yippee! (well that is what it is called at the moment!)

No comments:

Post a Comment