Friday 11 December 2009

One week in




Well one week today I arrived here, and it has been a busy week really, hence the lack of entries. I was also not on line at home until just the other day so that made it difficult adding entries too.
The weather has been very mixed with good wind and rain some days and yesterday and today totally superb sunshine and great light. The picture of Hamnavoe pier was taken this morning when I went down to get the paper.
Yesterday the sae was very active indeed and Eli and I went for a walk down at the south end of the island and watched the waves crashing and boiling against the cliffs. It was breathtaking.
Last night was a lovely evening and really quite warm too. A clear sky and no light polution meant the stars were stunning. Lyndsey, Broooke, Axl and Daytona and I had a beach party and bonfire. It was very lovely and we cooked sausages on the fire and ate cake and roasted marshmallows. It was Brookes last night here as she leaves Shetland later today.

During the week I have had an interview at the Walter and Joan Gray care home in Scalloway and I am pleased to say that I have been succesful in getting at least a part time job, to start as soon as the police checks come back.
I have also met with the bishop of Aberdeen. We went for a walk and I showed him Papil church and the Papil stone replica. He is still keen for me to help out at St Magnus and St Colmans, and I begin taking services on the 20th. I am already practicing the twelve days of Christmas!!!
I have met many old friends now and I even discovered that George and Helen are now up here full time and I bumped into Helen in town this morning, so next week I will be down to see George in his home and Sandwick. George was the elderly gentleman who shared my cabin when I came up on Sabbatical in 2004 and we became quite friendly over the time. I am so please he is here all the time and that I can visit him more often now.
I had coffee with another friend Alan ths morning, this was good too and he tells me he is getting married next year too.

here is another picture from today

No comments:

Post a Comment