Monday 18 January 2010

Downs and ups




Here are some pictures from the journey to Yell yesterday. The Ferry opens its bowls to receive new passengers just as it is arriving at the terminal, so this is a slightly weird sight like a monster crawling to devour its prey. I am assured it is quite safe.

St Colman's is the most northerly episcopal chuerch in Great Britain. A lovely small church with an even smaller harmonium. (I thought of Don playing this, or Mary for that matter.)

Eli wasmade welcome again yesterday and he behaved himself too. He was though a major factor in the congregation because we were low on numbers of humans.

I am pleased that people seem to be reading this blog and enjoying it too. I know this because now and again I am told this is the case and I get the occasional message too.

One person who will remain nameless (you see I am protecting your identity Chris) suggested I was having too much fun up here. Well though it is still good to be here, it is not all just fun and games and Fire festivals.

Signing on was not only complicated and drawn out but it also reminded me of the financial difficulties of not having regular paid work. I am very aware of the need to get this underway soon, and I have been encouraged by actually receiving my Disclosure form for the Walter and Joan home. However it is still poosibly at least a week away from being inducted yet. I know realistically that I have no need to worry at this point in time, but if things persist I will have problems... and this is not "fun".

I am however positive in the long run.

Then there are the times when I feel lonely. Eli is a great help of course and it is always great to go for a walk. This always lifts my soul even if it is a walk I have done before. Perhaps naturally after being surrounded by so many people in the past, I do notice the periods of time when I am "alone" here. Sometimes I just revel in it, and it is good to be able just to "chill" but there are also the times I wish I was not quite so alone too. This is not fun either.

I have the normal (is it normal?) ups and downs each week and each day. I know that a down may not last so long and it all balances out.

I do not really want to pretend it is aLL "FUN" here, it is the end of the day a normal place with normal people. I know it suits me, and even when I am feeling down about things, I am not down about being here. For the person who will remain nameless I will try to be more honest here, but don't expect me to tell you my deeper soul!

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to Yell again while we are up? I like the look of the harmonium! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neil. Finally bit the bullet and started a blog. You can find it at http://newblogsheland.blogspot. It was good to chat today. Speak again soon. Take Care. Alan

    ReplyDelete