Wednesday 21 April 2010

Ding Dong Merrily (it had to be ..!)


Back in November in the East End of London, this bell was cast. I had the privelage of being there to see it. Now it has arrived in Shetland and is ready to be put in its place in the tower of St Magnus church..
The previous bell sounded truly abominable! Anything Whitechapel Foundry could make could only be an improvement. Well yesterday Lerwick rang out to the beautiful sound of a new bell, even if I was ringing it in a garage. There is even a new rope to go with it for when it gets into the tower..

Sorry Sylvia... I had to give this entry an appropriate title!!

2 comments:

  1. Neil, Sorry I have not commented for a while, I still read you avidly. I see that you have been refreshed, very smart.It was good to see the Bell, it reminded me of our trip to Whitechapel which was so anti "Elf and Safety" it made my heart sing. I hope it has not changed too much. We have not actually seen any Ash here but travel seems to be slowly getting back although quite a few passengers are cancelling confirmed flights? very odd, perhaps they are convinced that they will be killed by ash in the jets. Keep well chat soon I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Neil, I used to do the Island Blogging, but gave up when the BBC stopped funding it, I think that seeing so many people I know are on this blogspot thing, I shall have to restart. Trouble is it can get quite addictive!

    ReplyDelete