Thursday 29 April 2010

Master Chef here I come !!!



Some of you may know that I like cheese scones. (Skon,skoon,skOne.) Wars have been fought I believe over the pronunciation of these objects, but I am informed they hail from Scotland. Today I decided that rather than just eating the Peerie Shop Cafe's all the time I would have a go at making some of my own. I sought advice from various quarters and naturally got varied and even conflicting advice. Eggs or no eggs, self raising or plain, mustrad or not, baking powder or not, butter or margarine or oil or buttermilk or yoghurt or cream.......!! Even the temperature of the oven was debatable. All in all everything to play for and all sorts of places to slip up.

I bought some weighing scales and some cutters from the delightful Harry's in Lerwick. Lerwicks version of Harrods they say.... buy at the top they say.

I set about throwing various items in the bowl and somehow it seems to have come together. The picture is the final result and they were edible too. A verdict?.... very good! I enjoyed the game very much and can certainly repeat for when I have a cheese scone party.
Perhaps the most challenging time came in the end keeping Eli off them while they were cooling.

I then went down to the beech for a celebratory walk and managed to bump into (for the first time) a blog follower... wow! (great to meet you if you read this).

On another note, the placement student from Ireland who is with me for another two weeks is getting on fine and despite the volcano which messed up the beginning he is having a good time.

It is the Folk Festival here now and tomorrow I am off to one of the concerts, and on Wednesday I am going to hear Anne Cleeves talking about her new book.

1 comment:

  1. hey Neil they look really good - Well done!
    I've got a got recipe for cheese nibbles if you want to try them if you want to try something different....then there's chocolate fudge cake and chocolate chip cookies !!!!

    ReplyDelete