Saturday 3 April 2010

EASTER GREETINGS


Once again it is Easter. A time when we reflect again on how we can truly live. I went for a walk today and was thinking about what I might say tomorrow at the Easter services and I realised again that coming to life can be a lifelong process. Having said that I do believe that this is the place for it to happen for me. I am reminded of a wonderful poem by RS Thomas here it is:


The Kingdom by RS Thomas

It’s a long way off but inside it
There are quite different things going on:
Festivals at which the poor man
Is king and the consumptive is
Healed; mirrors in which the blind look
At themselves and love looks at them
Back; and industry is for mending
The bent bones and the minds fractured
By life. It’s a long way off, but to get
There takes no time and admission
Is free, if you purge yourself
Of desire, and present yourself with
Your need only and the simple offering
Of your faith, green as a leaf.

Yesterday I found something quite strange on my walk with Eli, a small pine cone. Goodness knows where it had come from to get to Burra, or indeed how it got here. I guess judging by where it was that it had been washed by the seas and blown onto to coast line. It was tight shut. It will take some time for it to dry out and open irtself ready to bring its full potential... all the seeds of life.


Easter Sunday sees breakfast at the Co-op to begin with and the morning service in Lerwick. Then it is off to Yell and a large ecumenical gathering on Yell later. Monday is hopefully quiet before I begin a weeks induction at the new job with the Mental Health services as relief care worker. Yet another option for the phone to ring offering work. It is all beginning to build up and holding together.

HAPPY EASTER

No comments:

Post a Comment