Thursday 25 March 2010

First Overeseas trip
















I went down to Orkney Yesterday. I flew down from Sumburgh to Kirkwall in the morning. and came back this morning arriving back in Burra around 1.00pm.




The reason for the trip was a meeting to discuss Lay Reader Training with someone coming up from Mainland Scotland. There was also a special service in St Olaf's church in the evening where the oils were blessed. (an early Maundy Thursday service) It was great to be able to meet the episcopal clergy on Orkney and also to meet the person from the Reader training.





Everything went well and I even had time and opportunity for som sight seeing. I went to the Italian Chapel built by prisoners of war in the second world war out of two old nissan huts and marvelously painted and kitted out. (pictures included.) I saw Scapa flow and the Churchhill barriers built by the same prisoners of war. I saw various stone circles which were amazing. A great cafe in St Margaret Hope, I saw Stromness and South Ronaldsay.





Eli was looked after by my nighbour and he had a great time too by all accounts.





I also saw St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall, a sort of miniature Durham Cathedral and very well preserved and maintained.









2 comments:

  1. Nice to catch a glimpse of Orkney. My daughter is going there next week, with the school baroque orchestra and chamber choir. I think they're giving a concert in St Magnus Cathedral. I'm hoping she'll take some good photos for me, but then again she might be too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you made it to Orkney. Interesting contrast to Shetland, isn't it? "Orcadians are farmers with boats, and Shetlanders are fishermen with land." as an old saying has it. I've been to Orkney several times, and lots of happy memories. Stayed in a cottage in St.Margaret's Hope once. Fantastic restaurant there, not sure whether it's still there. "Ecna Loch swan" for dessert, I remember! Italian Chapel is moving, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete