Saturday 13 March 2010

"they're here!"


Well to be more precise, they are coming! The bird population is beginning to build up now and the gulls on Burra are beginning to take more cautionary notice of me and Eli when we are out walking. We should notice a big difference as the month passes and the vernal equinox is due soon so the days will really pull out.


This week has seen a little work, but not much, but as easter looms on the horizon this is not too much of a problem because I am fairly busy getting all that side of things sorted.


Today is a wonderfully sunny and warm day and Eli and I have had some good walking, he made another new friend today, a tiny "pug" dog (I think that was what it was called.)


The photograph is of "The Swan" a fairly well known boat up here which is getting ready for the new season. It was taken out of the water this week for its regular maintenance. When it is working it takes groups of people out on various trips and cruises. A friend of mine and his wife is going to Norway on her later in the summer. Usually the groups are young people who are in some way disadvantaged (disabled etc) and the experience they gain can be invaluable.


The Shetland Times this week reports that it is likely that the ferry from Aberdeen is now going to take longer to get here. Arriving at the same time but departing much earlier. If going via Orkney then it is proposed to leave around 4pm from Aberdeen. Quite a drag! This is all in a bid to save money on the subsidy and also to help "global warming" by using less fuel and fewer engines! We shall see. Most people are expecting an explosion of public interest in next weeks paper. Maybe The Swan could go into coompetition with the modern ferry?
My walking boots fell to pieces this week! Eli and I were out walking down the coast of Burra when my feet started to feel loose in my shoe. (like as if the laces had undone) But on looking down i noticed the soul had departed from the upper part of the boot on the left foot and it was just beginning to fail on the right side too. They are only about 3 years old so I have sent them back for investigation. They were not cheap either, usually good Scarpa boots, usually I am happy with them. I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a very long ferry trip, I am all in favour of saving fuel, but come on! I am deeply impressed that you can actually wear out a pair of boots, sounds like they have had a lot of walking. My boots are hardly muddy let alone worn out. Still cold here but a little sunnier today. Keep well. Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon spelling of "soul" must have been deliberate. Your boots have "given up the ghost". Lovely picture in "The Times" today of a rare white puffin (so rare it was thought to be mythical). Maybe you'll spot one up there?

    ReplyDelete